Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Delta Goes Toe-Up

Sad news today out of Atlanta - my favourite airline Delta has gone bankrupt. Which now makes three airlines i've caused to go bankrupt. First, I had my frequent flyer (FF) with Eastern Airlines. They went under. Then I had my FF with Pan American and they went under.

Now Delta.

First the Fat Boys break up, now this?

How am I going to deal with this? Sure, sure - they're restructuring. Also, I haven't flown since May (which may or may not be the cause of Delta's financial collapse as before that I flew on Delta or a Delta Connection flight every week).

I miss the Crown Room Clubs (and the President's Club with Continental and World Club with Northwest). The free drinks and cookies or bagels. Sitting high above the peasants in a comfy chair with wireless internet. Not having to sit next to some lady with three snot covered kids or some asshole salesman (saleshole) jabbering about how he can make the deal work for lugnuts or some other shit.

I hate people, but love gatherings.

Anyway - if you can fly Delta, you should. Actually, you fly JetBlue because they have DirecTV and XM radio in every seat.

Shit - did I say that outloud.

One day I was in the bathroom of the Crown Room at CVG and i'm taking a piss - and the guy next too me taking a piss was the CEO of Delta. I was going to say hi, but I didn't want to seem gay. Unless he was into that and I could have got upgraded to first. It's first for crying out loud - they have free drinks and bigger seats.

Don't judge me.

//UPDATE

Northwest went bankrupt too. Son of a bitch.

1 comment:

Ken said...

It wasn’t the price of jet fuel, or market forces that brought down Delta Airlines. It was a culture of arrogance among management and an adversarial relationship with the equally arrogant pilots. The management at Delta believed their own rhetoric that they were better than everyone else and incapable of failing. In the end it was their air of superiority that blinded them to a changing market. Early on they felt no need to compete with new upstart carriers that would eventually run rings around them.