Friday, September 30, 2005

Model Behavior

I wasn’t always a successful application consultant.  Like most people, my career path to where I’m at now has taken many twists and turns along the way.  I’ve been a customer support representative, a computer lab coordinator, a video production assistant and a male model.

Before you go and start digging through the latest issue of GQ – I have to let you know that it’s been a long time since that part of my life.  

My dad is a photographer.  When we first moved to America, most of his jobs were fashion shoots.  One particular day, my brother and I were with my grandparents for the day and he was shooting for a back to school layout for a local department store chain called Fountains.  There were two young models, a girl and a boy, from a local talent agency.  The setup was supposed to be the girl sitting down and the boy standing next to her with his arm around her shoulder.  Once the boy found out what he was supposed to do – he began freaking out.  He couldn’t put his arm around the girl because girls had cooties.  My dad started to get pissed off because this kid was wasting time.  The boy’s mother tried to convince him that girls didn’t have cooties – but there was no changing this kid’s mind.   Finally, my dad called my mom and had my grandparents bring me over.

Twenty minutes later I was in a changing room putting on some really bad slacks, a polo, and a pair of loafers.  I came out of the changing room and the boy’s mother was there – saying that he was ready to be in the shoot now.  My dad said “…too bad, he missed his chance…” and motioned me over.  

“What do I do?” I asked.

My dad pointed towards the girl sitting a stole in front of the camera.  “Go stand next to her and put your arm around her shoulder.  I’ll give you $25 dollars”.

“$25 dollars?  Okay.”  That was a hell of a lot of money.  I went over to the girl, put my arm around her shoulder and smiled.  Thirty clicks later I was $25 dollars richer.  I blew the money on a Millennium Falcon.

Sadly, that was my only modeling gig.  I burnt out early – there’s just too much pressure on the runway.

We promised never to speak of it again.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I cannot think of any better way to spend $25 than on a Millennium Falcon. Well not at the time, anyway; (I didn't get into the kinky sex stuff until age 14).