Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Dinner is served.

I travel a lot for work. It's good and it's bad - one of the goods is that I get to experience awesome restaurants around the country and sometimes get to go back for seconds. Here's a list of my top 10.

10. Sophie's Thai Kitchen
129 E Street East
Davis, CA 95616
530-758-4333

Honestly one the best Thai restaurants outside of Thailand. The menu is extensive and quite wallet friendly. Sophie's has a great bar too - and they stock it with 22oz Singha bottles. Davis is home to UC Davis, so the crowd is college kid heavy. My favourite dish is their Jungle Chicken Curry. I'm also partial to the Fresh Spinach with Peanut Sauce - but i'm a peanut sauce freak.

9. Tandoor
7801 West Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23294
804-755-4400

I had Easter dinner there once while on the road for work - definitely my home away from home. Richmond is a great city and has it's share of amazing restaurants - but the Tandoor is nice hidden gem.

8. Pi Tom's
6 Alexander St.
Toronto, Ontario M4Y 1B4
416-966-1813

My favourite place to eat in Toronto - really because of their Chicken Peanut dish. I swear it's just peanut butter melted and served with chicken. Awesome. The Eaton Centre is right across the street too.

7. The Great Dane
123 East Doty Street
Madison, WI 53703
608-284-0000

If Madison is the greatest university town/state capitol (which I think it is), then The Great Dane is the greatest brewery/restaurant in Madison. Favourite beer has to be their Crop Wheat Circle - a great wheat beer served with a slice of lemon. I've stumbled back to the hotel/apartment way to many times after a dinner of their African Peanut Stew (damn peanuts again - this is a theme) and five or six glasses of the wheat. They have a second location in Fitchburg which is great too.

6. Rula Bula
401 S. Mill Avenue
Tempe, AZ 85281
480-929-9500

A guy told me this place has the best pint of Guinness outside of Dublin - a claim many make, but few live up too. Rula Bula actually does have a damn good pint - and the more you have, the better they get. Any Irish pub can make bangers and mash - Rula Bula too - and they make a damn good serving.

5. Tripps
9318 W. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23294
804-965-6902

Oh trips and your delicious pre-dinner bread. I could spend hours there - I have spent hours there. My boss knows I love this place so much, he once called me while he was having dinner to tell me how good the Santa Fe Chicken Pasta was. Damnit

4. First Street Haven Restaurant
107 East First Street
Port Angeles, WA 98362
360-457-0352

Great sandwichs - and awesome breakfeasts. I spent two weeks in Port Angeles and I ate at First Street five or six times. Port Angeles is an awesome town - everyone should go.

3. Mulligan's on the Blue
Maui, Hawai'i

Maui. Irish Pub. What else do you need to know? Want bangers and mash - done. Want seared ahi - done? Guinness - best pint you can get in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I've had the opportunity to eat there six times now and I would go back in a second. Sure, i'd have to go back to Maui to get there - but i'm willing to suffer.

2. Gloster 205
205 North Gloster
Tupelo, MS 38804
662-842-7205

Gloster 205 is in a converted 19th century estate house - it's got damn good ambiance - and amazing strawberry butter. Go and get a steak.

1. Oregano's
523 W. University Drive
Tempe, AZ

I've always had to wait in line to get into Oregano's - and there's a reason for that, it's delicious and the servings are gigantic. I love the Pablo Picasso Mexico Salada - fajita chicken, romain lettuce, cheddar cheese, cilantro, tomatoes, onions - all served under a delicious spicy chipotle dressing. Tempe rocks - and one of the reasons is this restaurant.

8 comments:

Djgoldnboy said...

Also in Madison be sure to check out the Essen Haus, not sure about the food, but the German mystic and beer boots and all that entails are a pretty good time over there.

Nicole said...

I've hit up two restaraunts on the list!! (But I'm fat, so it's not saying much.)

And you said Sophie's was one the best Thai restaraunts outside of Thailand - have you been to Thailand?

Alex said...

Which restaurants?

Dan Mickelson said...

The Great Dane in downtown Madison is the only way to go. The Devil's Lake Amber & Black Earth Porter are the best Reds & Porters I've ever had. I love the Crop Circle as well, but too many of those and you'll have a hangover that make you wish you had a Advil LiquiGel IV. That place has the best atmosphere of any bar in Madtown!

Save the EssenHaus & ComeBack Inn... don't let them get torn down for the sake of more condos!

Alex said...

There's also Hawk's on State St. Can't go wrong with that. PBRMEASAP.

Nicole said...

You can have your Reds and Porters blah blah blah - I'll take a good PBR any day of the week. (I've been to Great Dane and Oregano's.)

Dan Mickelson said...

I like my good beer, I admit, I am a beer snob. That's what working for a Budweiser distributor will do, it makes one appreciate good beer and not that macro-brewed crap that we distribute.

Although, I do miss the days of drinking Keystone Ice (24 Pack for $5.99 back in the day). Shit... don't tell anyone I said that, we get fired for drinking something else, although I do need a new job.

If anyone is up in the Twin Cities, check out Chino Latino (in Uptown), great "Hispasian" food.

Alex said...

Blue Moon is a damn good wheat beer too. I'm personally a fan of Michelob Amber Boch! Oh the boch - gimme da boch. What?