Sunday, November 13, 2005

We've got rules

I'm going to say something, and I want to know to know if it makes me a bad person. I'm looking forward to getting married - one day in the future - for many, many reasons. One of those many, many reasons is the Kitchen Aid Mixer. Oh glorious Kitchen Aid mixer. Once I have you, I will actually bake cakes from scratch and not use a box mix anymore. With you, I will mix many a mixture of ingredients - creating culinary masterpieces that will make people weep. I have problems.

My entire kitchen cookbook consists of recipes where the main ingredient is chicken. I make a good curry - tonight I made curry pot pie - which is just curry in a pie with Major Grey's Mango Chutney on top. It's very good if I do say so myself. For a central Asian dish - I make great shashlik - which are just kabobs - but I marinate them in beer and garlic.

I'm making myself hungry. It's not helping that i'm watching Iron Chef America on Food Network Canada. It's "Battle Clams" with Iron Chef Cora defending Kitchen Stadium against Chef Sam Choy of Hawai'i. I don't even like clams - I can't stand any seafood if it's cooked - and yet, i'm here salivating. I think it has to do with Chef Choy being from Hawai'i. I'm a complete wannabe Hawai'ian. Two visits and they have me converted. I told a guy I was working for there that we were island brothers because i'm technically an islander too. Ireland is an island afterall - it may not be in the pacific - but we islanders have that islande mentality. I'm not sure what the islander mentality is - but I don't care.

I'm going to sit here now for the next hour and convince myself I can go to the supermarket, buy some fish, and then take it home to eat. It won't happen - but it's healthy to dream.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I am so glad you can appreciate the Kitchenaid Mixer - a staple on any good registry. My friend included one on her bridal registry and her fiance made her take it off because "that's $200+ people could spend on other things." 'Other things' being shit for him. But whatever... no man tells my friend what she can or can't have and as such, it was my gift to them. :-)