Friday, January 27, 2006

All your presents are downstairs

Contrary to popular belief, no one in my family is, or has ever been, a member of the Communist Party. Well, that’s not entirely true. Once, my dad did sign up for the Communist Party of America’s newsletter – but then he read it and realized that these were all worker’s rights type of communists, and not the cool marching through Red Square kind. It was depressing really – I imagine it’s the same feeling you get when you’re old enough to go to an adult aged party and realize they’re boring. The only real attraction was that you couldn’t go. The cliché “be careful what you wish for, you might just get it” has to be the only cliché that is ever 100% on target.Sometimes I think that I’m not a risk taker – but that’s really my low self esteem talking. I’m also a narcissist, which is an amazing contradiction. At least I’m not a sociopath with borderline personality disorder like Khansella (with a new post). I can just hear him now, screaming – “I’m not a sociopath – you watch too much Law and Order! Grow up!! Stop calling me Jack Bauer – I’m not playing ‘24’ with you.” He’s really sensitive.

Back to the risk taker thing. I take risks. I moved to Canada. One of the main reasons I moved was to make sure I’m as bad ass as my mom. What? Yes. When she in her early 20’s, she moved to Ireland from Philly to work as a nanny for a child psychologist. She went for a year, stayed for thirteen. She traveled all over Europe – met some cool people, partied, and eventually got married and had two kids. Now if I couldn’t move to freaking Ontario from Florida then what kind of man am I? Another reason was that my dad told me “Get the hell out of here – I hate this fucking state and I would leave if I could.” I love my parents.

I don’t jump out of airplanes. Laurie and her sister did. I’m not that kind of risk taker. It’s not that I don’t take risks if there is no tangible result – I just don’t take risks that involve me jumping from a height greater than say, four feet.

So what else is up? I was reading Khan’s blog this morning and it got me thinking. He’s writing about things that are happening now – I sometimes write about things that did happen. Part of me wishes I had jumped on this blogging band wagon while I was traveling – a lot of the details would be fresh in my head and I probably wouldn’t have to make up as much as I do. It happens. One thing I told him was to keep a journal. It’s something I always wished I had done – and one of these days, I may actually do it.

And now for your Friday pleasure - Terry Tate. Office Linebacker.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Even though I understand what you're trying to say, Philly to Ireland is so NOT EQUIVALENT to a Florida to Ontario, Canada move. It's not like middle-of-nowhere, limited resources, outdoor plumbing Canada, you're a stone's throw from Buffalo. I'm not trying to say you're not a risk taker, but risk is relative and in the eye of the beholder.

PS: I don't see the need to ever voluntarily jump out of a plane, either.