Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Reduce Taxes

I was going to write something about the state of the union - but then the President opened with "..the state of the Union is strong..." and I just gave up. It's not that I'm un-American or a communist or anything - I just think that maybe we need to say "Hey, we've kind of gotten off track here and we need to get our heads out of our asses and start playing football the way we're capable of playing."

But that didn't happen. It's the same thing as every other year - more money for education, health care, and reduced dependency on fossil fuels. Seriously - not one interesting or new thing announced. The best part was when the President referred to Clinton and himself as aging baby boomers. This whole Clinton as Bush Sr.'s new best friend is really freaking me out. It's like Lex Luthor and Superman having venti caramel maciottos at the Starbucks around the corner from the Daily Planet - it's just not kosher. I'd actually kill for a cafe mocha right now - but then again, I'm a whore for Starbucks. I was in Waterloo, Iowa once for a gig at an Anheuser-Busch distributor. One morning I woke up and went down to the lobby to grab some orange juice. Waterloo, Iowa is a small Midwestern town - the only chain places they seemed to have were a Ground Round and a Longhorn Steakhouse - so I figured I was out of Starbucks luck. But fate would change that. I noticed a woman checking in at the front desk - and she had a Starbucks cup. I ran up and asked where oh where did she get that. "Down the street at the Target - there's a Starbucks in ther....."

She didn't have a chance to finish - I ran to the rental car and made my way down the road to the Super Target. Now here's the weird part. It's a weekday around 7am - you'd figure that Starbucks - especially the only Starbucks in town would be packed. But no - it's empty - except for me and the guy behind the counter - who looks like the twin of Senator Joe Lieberman. He even sounded like the senator. This was right after the election - so I figured, hey - you lose an election - you end up working at a Starbucks in a Target in Waterloo, Iowa. Go figure. I ordered my venti cafe mocha , no whip and promptly left.

Is it sad that I have happy Starbucks memories? Really - I do have memories of times I've been in Starbucks. There was that hotel in downtown Salt Lake City with the Starbucks in the lobby - it was January, so I had a hot chocolate every morning. I was in Anaheim, CA once at a Marriott right across the street from the Crystal Cathedral at Disney Land. Who cares about those - the hotel had a Starbucks. Each morning I had a slice of banana bread and ate it as I drove to work. The ultimate Starbucks memory is from St. Louis. We did a week of training there and the building we were in had a Starbucks in the lobby. We went three times a day. By the end of the week, I knew the entire staff and they even let me make coffees for people.

I feel kind of lame now. Ah fuck it - it's the little things in life that make you happy and if a Starbucks in the hotel lobby makes me happy, well then good for me.

Tim Russert is talking about the domestic wire tapping debate now. I'm not so concerned about this issue. For one, I live in Canada - so they can legally tap my phone lines if they want. Second - all they'd hear if they did tap my phone is two things - me hanging up on telemarketers and my mom asking me if I've proposed yet. Not sure if either of those are a matter of national security - you decide.

*** Update - apparently I forgot that Bryan was with me on the trip to Waterloo, Iowa. Listen - I went to Waterloo, Iowa three times - I can't remember who was there. Also - it was a Lone Star Steakhouse, not a Long Horn. My bad. Ground Round was better anyways.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Waterloo, Iowa brings back memories, although not of Starbucks... but then again, I don't have a personal relationship with my morning beverage like so many do.

Reverend Moloquin said...

To quote you "it's the little things in life that make you happy and if a Starbucks...". You're right, it is the little things, but we have to work on changing that "Starbucks" thing to "Tim Hortons".