Thursday, May 18, 2006

I'm a transformer

There's a reason I don't save my password in iTunes. It's because if I did, people would use my computer to download albums and i'd go broke. Now, this is not true. The part about downloading is - but the part about not saving my password in iTunes is a blatent lie. For some reason, I saved my password in the evil Dell Dimension 4100 upstairs ("Where should I start with this ignorant cow?").


During Lara's welcome back party a few weekends ago, Bryan and Livy (see photo) were drunk iTunes music store surfing and they downloaded the album "St. Elsewhere" by Gnarls Barkley. I knew nothing about this group, except for a brief shout-out in Whitney Matheson's awesome USA Today "Pop Candy" column. Gnarls Barkley is a collaboration between DJ Danger Mouse (who did that actually pretty damn good, but way to popular "Grey Album" smashup of the Beetles and Jay-Z and Cee-Lo from the Goodie Mob. I have a Cee-Lo solo album at home - it's decent, a couple good tracks. This Gnarls Barkley album is much better than decent. I'm not sure how you'd categorize this music - and i'm not sure categorizing music is a good thing. It's like saying the Beastie Boys are rap or that Elvis Costello is easy listening. Speaking of Elvis Costello, his collaboration "Painted From Memory" with Burt Bacharach is freaking awesome and you should download that legally at your earliest convenience.

This weekend is the first long weekend of the year here in Canada. I have to say, this whole long weekend thing is beautiful. You have Victoria Day (May 24th), Canada Day (July 1st), the cryptic Civil Holidsy (August 1st), and then Labour Day (September 6th). Four months, four three day weekends. You don't get much better than that. On top of that, most people take the Friday off too - so tomorrow will be empty here as people make their way to their cottages or friend's cottages or camping. Us? Well, between throwing a party one weekend, and Boston last weekend, i'm toast. I'm going to get around to fixing the flower pots on the deck and maybe even paint the bedroom. And drink beer. Lots of beer. While consuming chicken wings. It's a good time to be alive.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

One irritation - they claim the name "Gnarls Barkley" was in no way a spin off the name of famed Charles Barkley... c'mon guys, wtf?!

Alex said...

I never heard that. Awful. Awful.