Thursday, October 26, 2006

Don't Vote

The AARP (American Association of Retired People) has this ad campaign on promoting "Don't Vote..........(long pause)...until you know the issues". Personally, I think it's a great slogan - though it seems that the only issues the AARP care about are social security and medicare drug coverage. I was raised in an environment that had no love for the age of retirement. My parents get angry at restaurant staff who try to give them a senior's discount. They like to pay full price for their entrees and don't try to talk them out of it. If you ever want to have the crap kicked out of you, just mention "early bird discount" to my dad.

I'm not even voting in this election.

(Silence from the audience)

Yeah, yeah - I know. "How can you not vote? Don't you care about democracy?" I do care about democracy, I just forgot to email in to get my absentee ballot. So i'm shit out of luck. Still, it feels weird voting for elections in a country I don't live in. I'm even in the district where Mark Foley was a congressman. Also, contray to reports, did not molest me at Ultima Fitness in downtown West Palm. I'd vote here in Waterloo if I had the vote, but I don't - yet. Don't worry, i'll be sure to get my absentee ballot for the next presidential election. Who i'll vote for? I'm writing in Arnold. Hasta la vista.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Election '08: Condi v. Hill