Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Good joke, eh?

We're going to see a taping of the Rick Mercer Report at the CBC in Toronto this Friday. Rick Mercer is the Jon Stewart of Canada, or if I was to say that as a Canadian; "Jon Stewart is the Rick Mercer of the States". The Mercer Report website has clips from each show - go check them out and post a comment if you need me to explain what the hell he's talking about (or aboot).

I offer this service because, even though the U.S. and Canada share the largest unsecured border in the world, there are so many pop culture and political references that our two great nations don't share. For example, on tonight's episode of "This Hour Has 22 Minutes", there was a clip of Alberta's (that's a province) outgoing prime minister (governor) Ralph Klein made a joke at some roast or something - and he said "...Belinda Stronach doesn't have a conservative bone in her body...well maybe one (audience laughter)....speaking of Peter McKay...". Now most of you will have no idea what the hell that means or why it's funny. Well, it is probably not funny.

Anyway - Belinda Stronach is a member of parliment here in Canada. She was once a member of the conservative party - but switched parties and joined the liberal party a couple years ago. She happened to be dating another member of parliment at that time, and I guess the story is she dumped him and the conservative party at the same time. Now, if you don't know that back story - well, the comment isn't funny.

But that's why i'm excited. Not because Raplh Klein says outrageous stuff - but because I understand Canadian political humor. I know the backstories and history and I can watch shows like the Mercer Report and This Hour Has 22 Minutes and actually get what they're talking about. I'm also excited because I got the joke tonight about how Justin Trudeau will host any event Ben Mulrooney won't host. It's funny, eh?

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I'm still waiting for the punchline.