Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Aren't much better, but better

Politics as usual? Well, in the U.S., sure - but as newbie in Canada I'm constantly amazed at the differences between our politicians. One example from tonight was newly elected Liberal party leader Stephan Dion's appearance on "The Rick Mercer Report". At one point in his life, Dion was a Quebec seperatist, he even ran for office for the seperatist party. Now he's a federalist - and Mercer asked what changed this. Dion told a story how he went door to door campaigning, and at one house - the man of the house invited him in. The man's wife poured them some rum and cokes, and they spent the night talking politics. After three hours, Dion left and "....I was a federalist and I never drank rum and coke again."

Personally, I love the fact that politicians here have the freedom to tell a story like that. In the States, he'd be labled a "flip-flopper" or something else idiotic. People can change their views over time and aren't pigeon-holded into one set of beliefs for the rest of their careers. I'm trying to find a clip of the interview to post.

Anyway. Today marks my seven year anniversary of working for the same company. I believe this officially qualifies me as having a career - which is amazing because I am a software development team lead, while my university degree is a B.S. (ironic, isn't it) in Russian and Eastern European Studies. Anyway - happy anniversary to me, great job man, great job.

3 comments:

Stuart said...

Well, I've been at UF for almost 6 years now... I'm still getting used to living in Gainesville. Although being NCAA football and basketball champs helps. Hey- who would have thought that the #2 football team in Florida would be USF? Oh yeah, and I've been playing WoW since I saw the sendup on SouthPark. Now there is a career. Working for Blizzard... and I'm a level 25 warlock, too.

Katie said...

Happy jobiversary!

jrkinsella said...

One day you'll have to tell me why you're successful.