Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tagged!

From my author friend Katie.....

1) Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?

"How Stella Got Her Grove Back" - mainly because I know a girl who wrote her thesis on it and she divorced a friend of mine after six weeks of marriage. I'm Irish - we wrote the book on grudges.

2) If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?

Ok - here are the three characters I'd bring to life for a night of wings and beer at Morty's Pub in Waterloo: Hermonine Granger from "Harry Potter", Jose Arcadio from "One Hundred Years of Solitude" and Raskolnikov from "Crime and Punishment". I think Arcadio would stick us with the bill.

3) (Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can’t die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realise it’s past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave? Any book by Pat Buchanan.

4) Come on, we’ve all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you’ve read, when in fact you’ve been nowhere near it?

Ayn Rand's 'The Fountainhead'. I've been after trying to finish it since 1992.

5) You’re interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisor to some VIP (who’s not a big reader). What’s the first book you’d recommend and why? (If you feel like you’d have to know the person, go ahead and personalise the VIP).

I would recommend reading "Chuck Klosterman IV". It is all about being (or knowing who is) advanced.

6) A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?

I agree with Katie - Latin all the way.

7) A mischievous fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?

The Phantom Toll Booth. That book still freaks me out.

8) I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What’s one bookish thing you ‘discovered’ from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)? 

I discovered the awesome writing power of Katie Schmidt. Althought I already knew she was awesome and I have letters written by her that I'm waiting to sell on Ebay once her book hits the top of the NY Times best sellers list.

9) That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. I'd like a library with one of those ladders that has wheels and you can move it along the shelves to find that one specific volume that solves a crime.

1 comment:

Katie Alender said...

Katie who?

I have letters, too! So don't try any blackmail or anything.